2011-03-09

On Lent

A few classmates of mine were discussing Lent this morning, to which I had completely forgotten about. I don't affiliate myself with Catholic beliefs anymore, but it made me really think about what Lent means. You give up something you love for 40 days. But why?

lolz
If you truly want self-betterment, then do it for the sake of yourself. Do it because you want to be healthy, or because you're trying to quit an addiction, not because you think God thinks you should. Care about yourself for once.
I truly never understood the value of praying to God, offering your sacrifices to him, and living for him. I attended a Catholic school for firth grade through fourth grade, and even then I remember religion being boring and senseless. Plus, attending church every week was the most dreadful thing I never looked forward to. I've always had the belief that no one should tell you how to live your life except yourself. This has gotten me into many quarrels with my parents, but I refuse to recognize a tradition that is passed on just "because my parents did it, and their parents did it" and so on. That's dumb.

Do I believe in God? Maybe. I'm not saying no, I'm not saying yes. But I choose not to live by age-old traditions created by sexist and closed-minded critics.

-A

PS: It's Ash Wednesday. I ate bacon. Buhuhu

No comments:

Post a Comment